- refuse allegiance to and oppose by force
- to resist or defy an authority
- to feel or express strong unwillingness or repugnance
- arising from or going to a root or source
- departing markedly from the usual or customary, extreme or drastic
- relating to or advocating fundamental or revolutionary changes in current practices, conditions or institutions
Jesus was radical. His ways still cause comment today and have done for over 2000 years. All Israel expected a rebel, a hero charging in on a horse to wipe out the Roman invaders.
Jesus was radical as he challenged us to live a new way, as a servant. We don’t wash the feet of visitors in our culture but in Jesus’ day this was considered the task you gave the lowliest of servant. Jesus, in taking up a towel was saying I relate to all and I am here to serve. It was his radical behaviour that set the tone for the church and for the last 2000 years.