As a youth worker and community organiser I have to communicate well and strongly. Here are some of the lessons I have learned:
- Listen. Two ears and one mouth. There is a reason why. Practice listening and be active in your listening.
- Clear and specific. It is important to understand your message so that you can communicate it clearly
- Use stories. Best way to communicate is stories. Rely on people’s empathy and love of stories.
- Watch your body language. Seriously crossed arms tell their own story.
- If it helps then repeat the question to ensure you heard it correctly.
- If you find yourself getting easily distracted then get rid of them.
Not a big list but listening is a learning experience. Start practising and enjoy.