I would totally recommend these guys the plants were fantastic quality and came with detailed instructions. The supervivums varieties were carefully labelled.
To make the wreath I investigated how it could be done, using my friend Google. I didn’t come up with much other than using a wire frame. So I collected a pile of moss, with clods of earth there is plenty available near me. I made sure I only took one piece from each spot and it has all grown back now.
I cut a strip of chicken wire about 12″(30cm) wide by 4′(122cm) long. To be honest I eyeballed it to the size I thought I wanted.
Next placed the mossy earth in it moss side down, leaving a bit of wire free for overlapping at the ends.
Then I wrapped the chicken wire round the moss width ways to make a sausage shape.
Finally this was bent into a circle with the spare bits at the end overlapping.
I then placed the supervivums in by making a hole and pushing them in. I carefully drew a guide of which one went where based on a clock, for future reference. I have just as carefully lost this now!
You can see the moss, earth and chicken wire in the photo above.
The whole thing was then placed to float in a tub of water for 30 mins or so to soak up water and bed in a bit. Here it is after its first soaking.
The instructions from the Curious Plant Company suggested keeping them out if direct sunlight for a while to acclimatise. So the whole thing was placed on the bottom shelf if the potting bench Rich has made me.
I left if here until a week or so ago, soaking it every 2-3 weeks in the dry weather. The idea is to get the soil and moss wet but not the foliage as it is prone to rot. During the winter the bench has protected the wreath from frost.
As you can see the colours have changed dramatically over this time.
I suspect this is due to the low light levels during the winter and in the sheltered bench space. The plants have gone as green as possible to pick up as much light as they can. I think might prefer the brighter colours that are showing themselves now over the “rainbow” that was originally intended. Jury is still out..
I thought I might have lost a few varieties, but when I counted it seams only one is missing. I’m quite impressed with this in the Cornish weather. I hope it likes it’s new home.
If anyone would like photos or diagrams of the process let me know. I didn’t take any while I was making it but am happy to have the excuse to make another wreath.