Its birthday season around here which means sewing time. Ive joined Stashbusting sewalong 2015, so its a chance to de-stash and make some pressies. First up are these super hero capes made from a duvet which has been languishing in my fabric draws for a few months since it was gifted to me. Not quite our thing as a duvet but some nice slipperly shiny fabric for childrens dressing up.
I unpicked a panel, the one Im least likely to use for the girls, then measured it around the smallest ones back. It was a perfect length, I wrapped it around her and cut the width one and a half times that, to give it some flow.
I hemmed the sides and bottom.
Next, I took some elastic that fitted most of the way along the neckline of the cape when stretched to its full extent. (I wanted to leave a non elasticated segment at the end for fastening). I sewed this on top of the raw edge with a long stitch (5) then folded this over and stitched again to enclose it and to hem the edges.
I added a rectangle of velcro for fastening, I chose this option beacuse if the cape gets caught or pulled by another child it will undoo rather than pull at the neck. I put the “teeth” edge of the velcro facing out, so it would not catch on the childs clothes.
I also, added initials on to the cape, I stashbusted some other material just to give myself a challenge, felt would have been much easier and neater. Beacuse my fabric was stretchy I sewed about 2 cm in around each edge in a long stitch to stabilise it (I used a contrasting cotton to add interest). Next, I folded the cape into quarters to centrailse the initial and pinned. When I was happy with the palcement I stitched the initial to the cape.
Ta dah, shiny floaty superhero capes, even suitable for dogs…..
Every Superhero needs a mask…..
PS heres our last super hero outfits:
Incredigirl made from clothes in the cupboard plus badge which was layers of felt cut to resemble the incredibles logo with a safety pin on the back.
Catgirl, cat hat made a few years ago using the pattern from cute and easy Costumes for Kids, which has had loads of use. She also used her “Elsa cape” which is a dyed muslin, with a small pice of elastic tied to two corners (tied to if under pressure it comes undone rather than strangling her).